A clear written expression of Business Edition’s position when it comes to complying with relevant data protection laws.
Business Edition cares about doing what is right. We are committed to complying with our obligations under law, and we take our responsibilities seriously.
Data protection laws exist to strengthen the protections surrounding the personal information of natural persons (and sometimes organisations) within their jurisdiction. The following data protection laws apply to us:
- In South Africa: The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), applicable from 1 July 2021; and
- In the European Union: The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), applicable from 25 May 2018.
We are constantly working towards compliance with the relevant data protection laws. This letter helps to describe what we have done so far, and put your mind at ease.
Why is data protection law important to Business Edition
We believe that it is important to comply with relevant data protection laws because they prevent people from suffering harm, including:
- losing money in a phishing attack;
- becoming victims of identity fraud;
- having their privacy infringed; or
- suffering prejudice or other harms.
How did Business Edition go about complying with relevant data protection laws?
Complying with relevant data protection laws isn’t easy, but we’ve invested significant time and resources into our compliance project.
We planned our compliance efforts carefully by:
- consulting with data protection professionals;
- assessing the impact of data protection law on us, and the risks associated with our activities;
- determining our compliance strategy, and the how we should apply the principles of data protection;
- educating our staff and contractors through face-to-face workshops and online training; and
- identifying actions to comply with relevant data protection laws.
What is Business Edition doing to comply with relevant data protection laws?
Business Edition has taken numerous steps to comply with relevant data protection laws, including:
- entering into data processing agreements with our customers and suppliers; and
- updating our data security on our equipment, infrastructure and systems.
We have also engaged with Michalsons, a specialised IT and data protection law firm who are experts in helping organisations comply with complex data protection laws. The Michalsons team use their experience and pre-existing intellectual property to help us protect the personal information that we process in a practical and effective way.
Many of the actions we have taken have happened behind the scenes. We can’t reveal details of exactly what we’ve done because it might help out the bad guys.
We care – contact us
Ultimately, we’ve taken complying with relevant data protection laws seriously because we care about preventing harm to you – our customer.
If you have any questions about your personal data, or how we protect it and make sure it stays private, please contact us here: email@example.com
Business Edition Chief Compliance Officer